Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Simple but Classy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

I wanted to put together a pasta sauce that wasn't the usual tomato from a can (which most definitely has its place in the world and my cupboard, don't get me wrong.) Something a bit more interesting and complex that could be served to guests.

However, I also wanted to make it from things that you always seem to have hanging around in the kitchen AND can be whipped up in about the time it takes the pasta to boil. What can I say, I'm an idealist. I'm pretty pleased with what I came up with because for once I followed my own rules.

Simple but Classy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

Serves 4

Ingredients
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups canned pumpkin broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pasta (I used rotini)

Put pasta on to boil.

Spray a large deep pan with cooking spray and brown onion. It should take around 5-7 minutes. When the onions are about half done, through in the garlic and brown it too.

When the onions are translucent (be sure they're done to your taste as as they won't cook much more when you add the other ingredients) add in the pumpkin and then stir in the chicken broth. Add more or less broth depending on how thick you want the sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes and then serve over the pasta. Goes great with a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment